Reading and Writing
Children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will learn phonics through Little Wandle. This is taught in different phases and groups depending on the children's development. We follow the Big Reading programme. There are five key skills for reading that your child is learning about and applying to their reading.
These five key skills are:
• Read — decoding using systematic synthetic phonics and learning tricky words by sight
• R — Retrieve information from the text
• E — Explore texts in detail
• A — Analyse the structure and layout of texts
• D — Deduce and infer using clues found in reading and wider experiences